New Forums!

General discussion for Munyu projects, releases, and other such stuff.

Moderators: uanime5, KiTA, Munyu Staff

KiTA
Site Admin

New Forums!

Postby KiTA » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Ok, If you are reading this, then the forums have been successfully upgraded to phpBB3. Now, to find a decent skin.

KiTA
Site Admin

Re: New Forums!

Postby KiTA » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:01 pm

Nice. The old skin we used for the old forum was updated for phpBB.

wervy

Postby wervy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:11 am

Shiny! And colorful :P

Any thought to what you wana do with the front page?

KiTA
Site Admin

Postby KiTA » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:17 am

wervy wrote:Shiny! And colorful :P

Any thought to what you wana do with the front page?

Probably going to do a Wordpress blog, eventually. Having the forums not be full of spambots is a nice first step, though.

Is the Team Workbench sub-forum working? I wasn't quite certain if I had the permissions set right.

Malone

Postby Malone » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:55 am

Love it! Kawaii! :P

lala-slut

Postby lala-slut » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:19 pm

I liked former skin/theme much more.

It was clearer!

It was more pleasant for the eyes to find the page views and who posted a comment and the date they did. I mean of course it is easy to find it, sure. But I have to focus my eyes on the page views, and date when someone posted a new comment. With the former skin I didn´t have to. It was really very pleasant for my eyes. With the new skin my eyes are even hurting a bit when I try to find out the dates of the latest comments.

I plead to return for the former skin!

Thats my input on this.

lechevalier

Postby lechevalier » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:04 pm

lala-slut wrote:I liked former skin/theme much more.

It was clearer!

It was more pleasant for the eyes to find the page views and who posted a comment and the date they did. I mean of course it is easy to find it, sure. But I have to focus my eyes on the page views, and date when someone posted a new comment. With the former skin I didn´t have to. It was really very pleasant for my eyes. With the new skin my eyes are even hurting a bit when I try to find out the dates of the latest comments.

Thats my input on this.

Ah, but we've only had this for a few days while the other one was around for several years. You will in all likelihood get used to this one too in no time (if this is the skin we're keeping, might not be - it's up to KiTA).

Also, it's not just a change of skin, it's an update to phpbb3 and that is a necessity for the future. The skin last used is not available for phpbb3.

Let's let some time pass and hope for the best yeah? :)
--
Higashi

KiTA
Site Admin

Postby KiTA » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:47 pm

Well, there was a few hours between the new forum and the new forum + new skin. I still have the default skins installed, though. You can change to those default skins by going into User Control Panel in the upper right, then selecting them. It's "Prosilver" and "Subsilver2".

I will be tweaking the skin some, though, as I agree that it's a bit hard to read in places. Particularly the buttons, which I find a bit fuzzy.

KiTA
Site Admin

Postby KiTA » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:01 am

Ok, good, just saw a new user -- Pong. That means registration is working and the Q&A anti-spam question (What is the name of our group?) works as well.

Now, just need to see if the Team Workbench subforum works...

KiTA
Site Admin

Postby KiTA » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:23 am

lala-slut wrote:I liked former skin/theme much more.

It was clearer!

Thats my input on this.

Is it the colors that are bothering you, the layout, the buttons and icons, or the font? I'm digging through the theme for DAJ Glass trying to see what I can move over to DAJ Glass 2, and according to the raw files they use the same colors for backgrounds and stuff. The Icons are different, though.

There's a lot more, er, open white space, though, which I am not sure I can do terribly much about right away. I can try to make everything a bit darker if it's just too bright.

KiTA
Site Admin

Postby KiTA » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:42 am

Lala, I put in another style, edited from DAJ with the older font:

index.php?style=8

Try that link, tell me if it's better or worse. The major change is that the original theme uses these fonts, in order (it'll use the first one it finds):
"Trebuchet MS", Lucida Grande, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

And that version uses:
Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

Which is the same that the old forums use. It shifts the layout around quite a bit actually, due to the size of the font -- Verdana is a bit boxier and bigger.

lala-slut

Postby lala-slut » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks to Kita for telling me how to change the skins, didn´t know. I am a total newb, when it comes to this. Also I want to say: don´t bother with my critics, as I don´t have any interest in forum administration things. I don´t even know why you needed to change it, except for a better protection against spammers (?), which in my newb eyes wasn´t big (?). I don´t understand forums at all.

If the change leads to less time consuming administration, then of course I get it. But if not? Why then? Cause you like new smilies or colours of our individual fonts? ^^ I am not interested in that. Cause you wish for more interest and activity in your forums and try to accomplish it by this change? Then I don´t get it :S. Btw I am from Germany, not fluent in english, hi there :P.

I am more interested in sharing of our interest in hentai, what we like, why we like it and what turns us on. Though I never did so in these forums, cause I don´t want to be the first one to do that ._.´, but I can very well imagine to join such conversations/threads.

Anyway, I took a look at the 4 skins and my ranking solely based on the looks (colour/size of the font and colour of the background):

1. DAJ Glass 2
2. DAJ Glass 2 Munyu
3. subsilver 2
4. prosilver

In detail:

4. prosilver: It is a totally different style, I don´t like it, that is all.

3. subsilver 2:

+ rather small size of the font
- the blueish (?) colour of the font
- the blueish skin over all, it makes a bad contrast of font and skin, I don´t like that.
- too bright !!! the old phpBB2(.X ?) was not that bright.

2. DAJ Glass 2 Munyu:

+ not too bright
- the blueish (?) AND greyish colours of the font
- the blueish skin over all, it makes a bad contrast of font and skin, I don´t like that.
- less bright than old phpBB2, makes me sleepy (!)
- big size of the font,

compared to the others, I get confused about whether there have been new replies (again, I solely talk about the looks of the forums, I mean did you ever experience that you like the looks of some forums more than others? That it is more pleasant to read the comments and that gives you this pleasant feeling that you can stay longer and can endure reading further? I e.g. have this feeling on mangafox forums and I had it here on phpBB2.

1. DAJ Glass 2:

+ not too bright
+ rather small size of the font
- the blueish (?) AND greyish colours of the font
- less bright than old phpBB2, makes me sleepy (!)

With that I conclude:

my main problem is the bad contrast of fonts colours and background colours. What I found out just now is, that unlike at mangafox, your old threads topics´ font doesn´t get thinner to give the viewer an easy orientation that there are no new replies, but uses this coloured envelope. That about the envelope I found out just now lol...I am sooo used to the thickness of the font as orientation. I know all in all it is just a matter of seconds and we can just take these seconds and look to the right and see the date of latest comment, but still, it is unpleasant for me. Cause of that it is no fun to update the page (I have it opened in a tab in browser most of the time I am online) too look for new replies etc. With phpBB2 I always felt somehow excited with every click on the update button, cause I knew that if there was a new comment, it would jump right into my eyes the very moment I looked at the page. I absolutely don´t have this feeling anymore, really not at all. When I remember to update the page and remember the new skin I somehow feel like crying over the loss of this excitement. The loss of this emotion is my main problem with the new skin!

edit 2: And the loss of the feeling of intimacy!!!! OH MY GOD! (really took me long to explore my feelings) Thats it!! The sense of intimacy phpBB2 gave me, LOL.

Now that it is clear to me I am even sadder...

I liked this phpBB2 black/white contrast, was very pleasant and brightness was perfect and gave me perfect orientation and it looked soooooo lame !!! (XD) As in oldschool (!!!) haha :p. I like lame forums I guess.^^

edit: Kita, your link doesn´t work for me I think..nothing changes when I click on it. I just come to the index page, nothing else happens. Or I don´t get how it works.

edit 3: Does anyone have pics of the old phpBB2 forums and send me/upload somewhere? I would like to look at them from time to time (very often) so that I can delve into my old beautiful emotions that I most likely will never feel anymore in this forum *cry*.

edit 4: Oh! And I don´t like it that the links to other pages ( g-e hentai etc.) link me directly to the new page in current tab instead of opening the link in a new tab. I have to right click, open in new tab..thats lame :S, too lame!!! In phpBB2 I didn´t have to deal with that...

khaleb

Postby khaleb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:39 pm

No. New forum sucks. It lost my password (litteraly, it said something like "you password couldn't be converted when this board was updated" ) so I couldn't login, told me that I needed to ask for a new one but there was no link "forgot your password?" anymore, didn't let me send an MP to Kita for help without being logged in and didn't let me create a new account with the same email I used for the first one (and didn't even think that would be a good time to give me the link for "lost your password?" ) . i had to use one of those pesky "create a temporary, throwable email adress" website to create a new account just to warn you about this!

(By the way, Kita, old account goes by Khal)

KiTA
Site Admin

Postby KiTA » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:18 pm

I fixed your account, khal -- I sent you a PM on this throwaway account with the password I set it to.

Lala, the link should change the font to a boxier one - it tells the forum to use DAJ Glass 2 Munyu temporarily.

The colors for the backgrounds et all are supposed to be the same as the old forums, although they might be a bit more blue. I'll double check that when I have some time. I think part of the problem is that the old forums had black lines separating things and the new forums have "pale white recessed" lines instead.

The icons (like saying there's new replies) I can change, I need to see about using the old icons, they might need resizing. I *might* be able to change the "Threads with New Replies are Bold" thing too, I'll look. I also want to shrink the Logout, FAQ, and Advanced Search buttons at the top.

KiTA
Site Admin

Postby KiTA » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:06 pm

I'm I'm noticing this right it does change the topics that are newly replied to by making them RED text instead of the current color.

Looking at the old forum text and the new forum text:

It *IS* a different color. Hm. I'll fix it.

Edit: I updated the theme again, DAJ 2 Glass Munyu should now have the original, darker, text. Lets see if that works.

Return to “Projects”